Dental implants are the most comfortable and permanent solution for restoring missing or failing teeth. They form a strong foundation for your replacement teeth and keep oral structures healthy and strong by stimulating the bone in your jaw just like natural teeth. Implants can support individual replacement teeth or secure specialized dentures to replace multiple teeth or even an entire arch of teeth. Unlike bridges, no healthy teeth are damaged to secure the restoration, and implants can last a lifetime if proper care is taken. Implant-supported replacement teeth are an extremely lifelike, stable, and comfortable solution for almost any patient.
We perform dental implant placement in our office. For more detailed information on dental implants and to discover if they are the best solution for you, we encourage you to contact our Hiawatha, IA, practice to schedule a consultation with one of our highly skilled oral surgeons. Dr. Morgan, Dr. N. Morio, or Dr. W. Morio will assess your oral health and create a treatment plan tailored to your individual needs.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants have many incredible benefits, and as a result, they are the preferred method of tooth replacement for our patients. Some of the key benefits of this tooth restoration treatment include
- Durable and versatile. Dental implants are designed to replace a single tooth, multiple teeth, or even an entire arch of teeth, and they can last a lifetime if you take proper care of them. Dental implants replace the tooth and the root and are therefore a true tooth replacement. Your implants won’t slip or fall out like dentures.
- Look, function, and feel like natural teeth. The titanium implant fuses with your jaw bone and creates a secure foundation for your replacement crown. The combination of the implant and the crown performs just like a natural tooth. The crown will be custom-made by your restorative dentist to match your other teeth. With dental implants, you will be able to eat, talk, and smile with complete confidence.
- Good for your oral health. Bone loss in the jaw often occurs when teeth are missing. Additional oral health issues can be caused by tooth loss, such as dental shifting, jaw misalignment, speech and eating difficulties, gum disease, and more. Dental implants help prevent bone loss in the jaw — they safeguard your oral health and appearance.
- Most patients are candidates. We find that most patients are candidates for dental implants. Sometimes, when there is some bone loss in the jaw, additional work is required for the implants to be successful. In this case, you may require a bone grafting procedure before receiving your dental implants. See our section on Bone Grafting for more information on this innovative treatment that we offer at our practice.
Dental Implants in Hiawatha, IA
For detailed information on dental implants and to find out if they are the best tooth restoration solution for you, we encourage you to call our friendly Hiawatha, IA, practice to schedule your consultation with one of our skilled oral surgeons. Dr. Morgan, Dr. N. Morio, or Dr. W. Morio will assess your oral health and condition and will create a customized treatment plan just for you.
Dental Implant Procedure
Your oral surgeon and your dentist will work together to complete the entire process of your dental implant. As with a natural tooth, the success of your implant requires that you practice excellent oral hygiene and attend regular cleanings and exams with your family dentist. To restore your tooth, the oral surgeon replaces it with a titanium dental implant. Over time, the bone in your jaw heals and fuses with the titanium implant (a process called osseointegration). This creates a strong foundation for your artificial crown and offers the additional benefit of preventing future bone loss in your jaw by stimulating the bone just like natural teeth do. Then, a support post (abutment) is placed on the implant and your new replacement tooth (crown) is placed on top of the abutment. To fabricate the replacement tooth or teeth, a digital 3D impression is taken of your mouth and bite, and a model is created. The replacement teeth are based on this model and can be crowns, fixed bridges, or fixed dentures. In some cases, a temporary replacement tooth can be attached to the implant immediately after surgery so that you have something in place while you await your permanent, custom-made crown.
This is the typical process for receiving dental implants:
- Consultation. During your initial appointment with the oral surgeon, your oral health and condition will be assessed, and a treatment plan will be customized for you. 3D scans may be taken to create custom surgical guides for your procedure.
- Surgery. You will be under your chosen form of anesthesia when your implant is placed in the bone beneath your gums, so you will not feel any pain. After the surgery, the surgical site will be stitched closed, and you will have time to rest and recover before your designated driver takes you home.
- Recovery. After your dental implant placement, you will go home to begin the healing process. You may be outfitted with a temporary crown to wear during the healing process. Most patients are back to their regular routines after a couple of weeks, though the fusion of the implant with the jaw bone will a bit longer.
- Abutment placement. After the initial phase of healing, your oral surgeon will place the abutment piece. Abutments connect your new, permanent, and custom-built crown to your implant.
- Crown placement. When your oral surgeon has determined that you are ready for the restorative phase of your treatment, the custom crown that was created by your restorative dentist will be placed. Your tooth restoration is complete!
Drs. Morgan, Morio, and Morio look forward to your consultation appointment, where they will develop a strategy with you for restoring your oral health and smile. Please call the front office to learn more about us and the dental implant procedures we perform at our trusted practice in Hiawatha, IA. We are dental implant specialists!
Dental Implant Cost
Dental Implant & Oral Surgery Specialists of Iowa offers the full scope of oral surgery services at fair prices for Hiawatha, IA, and the surrounding communities. For your convenience and to make payment as accessible as possible for our patients, we accept multiple payment methods and insurance plans and offer financing options.
While dental implants may seem pricey at the onset, this type of advanced tooth replacement treatment is an incredible long-term value for your budget and your health. Dental implants can be a lifelong tooth replacement if cared for properly. The financial and personal advantages our patients can enjoy when they choose dental implants include the following:
- Long-term solution. Dental implants do not require replacement after a few years like bridges or dentures. With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime.
- Improved oral health. Dental implants are embedded in the bone beneath the gums, stimulating the jaw bone like natural tooth roots. This helps to prevent destructive bone loss and other oral health problems that can be very costly to address over the years.
- Improved overall health and happiness. Dental implants allow patients to eat the foods they love, and speak and smile confidently again, which helps sustain overall long-term health and happiness.
If you are looking for a long-lasting, cost-effective, and healthy solution to missing or failing teeth, dental implants are, by far, the preferred choice.
For more on the cost and value of dental implants at Dental Implant & Oral Surgery Specialists of Iowa in Hiawatha, IA, see our Dental Implant Cost page.
Dental Implant FAQ
Please see our Dental Implant FAQ.
Dental Implant Instructions
At Dental Implant & Oral Surgery Specialists of Iowa, our priority is to provide safe and comfortable procedures, and optimal outcomes for our patients. You will receive detailed care instructions from your oral surgeon regarding your dental implants, and it is important to follow your pre- and post-operative instructions as detailed to get the most out of your treatment and reduce the risk of complications. For your convenience, we also include guidelines here. Feel free to call our office with any questions you may have, including questions about pre- and post-operative care. We are happy to offer guidance.
Tooth Replacement Options
At the time of your consultation appointment with one of our oral surgeons, your oral health will be assessed, and other factors will be carefully considered with your general dentist to determine the right tooth restoration option for you. Some of your options for tooth replacement are the following:
- Dental Implants
- Full-Arch Replacement/Teeth-in-a-Day
- Full or Partial Dentures
If you have questions or are ready to schedule your consultation with one of our surgeons, please contact our Hiawatha, IA, practice. We look forward to meeting with you to discuss tooth the replacement options that will be best for you.
Learn more about tooth replacement options on our Tooth Replacement Options page.